

1. Three components using text based information:
A) Toon Tasks are interacted with by talking to HQ Toons who “talk” with text bubbles. It is nearly impossible to understand the intended task without reading the text.
B) Speed Chat is what avatars use to communicate “verbally” with other Toons. Players must use pre-written text to use this form of communication. You can choose from pre-worded sayings to mean “sorry”, “hello,” or to ask for help. It is designed to help players understand each other without the possibility of grammatical errors or crude language.
C) Tips are text shown during transitions or while the next screen is loading. It is entirely text and its purpose is to make waiting time more interesting.
2.Three components using Non-text based information:
A) Maps are mostly non-text based and instead rely on pictures. The only interaction possible by a non-subscribed member is to look at the map to see where you are and where you have been by observing where clouds have covered parts of the map.
B) Buying Gags is another task that does not require text. Players can simply look at the pictures and click on the gags that they want.
C) Fighting Cogs is mostly non-textual as it involves pictures and colors to represent progress.
3. Three examples of color, shape, ect…
A) The Cog has a circle that changes colors from green to red as you defeat him.
B) Cogs and Cog buildings are gray while all Toon objects are very colorful. In the world color represents Good while grey shades represent Evil.
C) Color and Shape are the first things in the game. When you create your avatar you choose what size to make your Toon as well as, the color of its skin, clothing and speech bubble.
4) Tasks are communicated as previously said, by HQ Toons by reading speech bubbles. Players can also view their tasks by looking at their task charts in the menu book. How you receive the tasks remain the same but the difficulty of the tasks increase. Each task completed is rewarded with some sort of level up in the game.
5) It is hard to feel immersed in ToonTown because the graphics are not at all life like. The most immersive aspect would have to be traveling by foot, running through the streets is time consuming and slow and therefore hypnotic. Trolley Games are least immersive because they are simply 2D games.
6) As a non-$ubscribed Toon, my communication is limited. I have to use pre-worded phrases, which take time to locate, and can be difficult when socializing. To socialize with other Toons, players can ask them to be their friends and then use the phrases to Speed Chat with them. I start out with a greeting and then ask them what their tasks are and try to have a conversation or see if they want to fight cogs with me. Other players are not always receptive.
7) The economy is made up of Jelly Beans. Jelly Beans are needed to buy gags to fight cogs, and to fish. Jelly Beans are also needed to buy things for your Toon house and clothing for your Toon. I use Jelly Beans to fish, I then trade the fish I catch for more Jelly Beans, and I use those Jelly Beans to buy gags.
8) Fishing is my favorite in world activity. I enjoy fish bingo, which can be played with other Toons. It is my favorite because it is very simple and the fish are cute.
9) In-world objects have limited instructions in my opinion. For instance, I did not know I could jump until I got stuck in a fountain and ended up pushing keys until something happened. I feel like to get a proper sense of the virtual world ToonTown forums and cheat sheets are needed and even though I had looked over forums I didn’t know how to jump. (it was probably simple to all but me)
10) Without subscribing to ToonTown and paying a fee, players are not really given a feeling of agency. Players can point and click, play games in a point-by-point manner and run a certain way but overall players are not able to really interact with anything.

No comments:
Post a Comment