Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Part 4 - Future of Social Media

I know this is not the most popular view among people my age, but I hope that social media frenzy declines. HOWEVER, I doubt that to be the fate of the multi-media, multi-million user scheme that is social media. It seems to me that social media sites are going to expand until one takes over the others. Already social media is being intertwined, so it makes sense that in the future we will be able to tweet, poke, and post with the same App.

I believe that before the next big thing arrives we will have bad copycats. Perhaps more than expected because people are bound to get stuck in a rut. After the loads of generic crud, there will be the next step. The next step will take it too far and cause trouble, so copy cats will have to spew until a middle arrives to balance it out. This will repeat.

I am concerned for the safety of users of new social media. Not only for the psychological effects of competing with one another to have the most outrageous life (www.fml.com), but for the lack of privacy and the results. There are apps that let users see where, physically, other users are. This is dangerous for apparent reasons. People friend others that they do not actually know, the other person is creepy/psycho, they stalk them via the new app, and someone gets hurt. I don’t think that society is responsible enough for the new technology. History repeats and the young girl who meets up at the mall with her unknown chat friend “bluedolphin534~” becomes the young girl stalked by the not so friendly twitter follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment